[Registered mentors[0] Bcc'd for the first and last time. Please subscribe to
the soc-coordination list if you didn't already]

Hi all,

First of all, thanks a bunch for having proposed a project for this year's GSoC
in Debian. Our project idea list looks stronger than ever!

Sorry for the long-winded mail but there's a lot of stuff to say about student
applications :)

Earlier tonight, I have cleaned up our project list[1], by moving the projects
that had a mentor in the "SummerOfCode2014/Projects" namespace, and by hiding
the "ProjectProposals" in the index.

Mentors, if you haven't already, please register on google-melange, following
the two steps described on the wiki[2]. That's the platform where you'll
evaluate your students during the course of the program, so at least one mentor
per project needs to be registered there. If all the mentors are there, we
don't need to run after people to fill in evaluations and your admins are less
grumpy. Go register already!

The student application period opens at 1900 UTC tomorrow (March 10th), and
closes at 1900 UTC on Friday March 21st. What that means is that a student
needs to have submitted a formal proposal on google-melange.com in that time
period. Students are free to refine their application until the time our
student acceptances are sent to Google, that is until April 17. That leaves the
students a good month to talk with you and come up with the perfect proposal.
They just need to have submitted *something* to Google before March 21st. Of
course, the earlier the better (melange can be a bit difficult under load)!

The way we do student applications in Debian is that the students put their
application on our wiki (instructions and list on [3]), and use google-melange
only to link to that application. No need to copy-paste the whole page, just
have them put a link. That way we keep everything in a central place that is
easy to work with for us.

Mentors, feel free to direct your students to the more relevant medium of
communication for your project. You might want to use the soc-coordination list
for inital contact as that's where students are usually directed (e.g. on our
wiki page or on Debian's melange page). It might be a good idea to hang out on
IRC too, as we have some students asking questions there. We can usually guide
them or redirect them, but it's easier for everyone if you're there already.

Mentors, timely interactions with students are a must, even if just to say
"We're reviewing your stuff and we should be able to reply in a few days".
Those kids are very enthusiastic, and it doesn't take much latency to
demotivate them.

For each proposed project idea, we will accept zero or one student (we also
usually limit the number of students per mentor, but that shouldn't be an issue
this year). We do things in a few steps:

 - At the beginning of April, we will ask for your gut feeling on whether an
   applicant will be a good match for your project. That helps us request a
   realistic number of student slots from Google.

 - Hopefully, we get all the slots we ask for (which has usually been the case).

 - Once student slot allocations are done by Google, we will ask the mentors
   for a ranking of the applications they received. That is, you're in the
   driver seat all the way and you get to decide who does your project. Google
   doesn't have a say, and the admins don't usually interfere.

Suffice to say that ranking student applications is *HARD*, and the top-notch
applications can get decided by a coin flip. If you have two strong contenders,
tell us! There are several deduplication rounds (for students that applied to
several orgs), and we have had top students apply to two orgs and get picked in
both. If we know you have two strong profiles, it makes it easier on everyone.
If there are irreconcilable differences between the orgs, we can always ask the
student. :-)

Mentors, to help you rank applications, we strongly advise you to propose your
students a warmup task of some sort, to see how they can deal with your
software and how they interact with you. For instance, have them fix a bug,
write a patch, make or adopt a package related to your software stack, ...

Thanks for reading thus far! Don't hesitate to follow up on the mailing list if
you have any doubts or questions. And you can always contact us privately
(sylvestre@d.o and olasd@d.o) if you have any issue you can't raise in public.

Eager to receive those student applications!

Cheers,
Nicolas Dandrimont

[0] Mentors and co-mentors don't really have a different status, so from now on
we'll only talk about mentors, don't be surprised.
[1] https://wiki.debian.org/SummerOfCode2014/Projects
[2]
https://wiki.debian.org/SummerOfCode2014#I_want_to_mentor_a_project_in_Debian
[3] https://wiki.debian.org/SummerOfCode2014/StudentApplications