On Wed, Oct 24, 2018 at 3:35 PM Mike Bayer <mike...@zzzcomputing.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 24, 2018 at 4:54 PM Travis Briggs <audiod...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm trying to apply a unit of work pattern, where I'm processing all of
> the "items" in a category, and I'm opening my session before I query for
> the items in the category, then closing the session when the items are all
> processed.
> >
> > However, this still could take several minutes and I'm getting the
> "MySQL Server has gone away" message on the session.close() call. This
> seems to be relatively innocuous: my app continues running and everything
> is fine, apparently. Just to note, I am using pool_pre_ping=True.
> >
> > Just wondering if I should:
> >
> > Ignore this error, or
> > Not be closing the session and just letting it get garbage collected.
>
> you shouldn't be getting that error and it is a sign something is not
> working correctly.      you'd need to review your session lifecycle
> code.

I'm not in direct contact with the DBA for this app, but my understanding
is that the database has very strict/limited timeouts for connections.
Couldn't it be that the connection is simply timing out between the time I
create it and the time I call session.close()? Would that be example of a
problem with my session lifecycle code, that I'm just taking too long?

Thanks,
-Travis