On 5/1/18, 1:15 PM, "sqlite-users on behalf of R Smith"
<sqlite-users-boun...@mailinglists.sqlite.org on behalf of
ryansmit...@gmail.com> wrote:

    On 1 May 2018, at 6:43pm, Peter Da Silva<peter.dasi...@flightaware.com>
wrote:

    > CSV is an interchange format, it's for software to communicate with other
software, so the syntax needs to be independent of the locale since you don't
know if the sender and recipient are in the same locale. Field separator is
syntax, so the locale settings should not have any effect on it.

    That is a very bold and idealistic claim.

I'm not claiming what you think I'm claiming. All I'm saying is that CSV is
meant to communicate with software, not humans. Locales are there for humans.
Using "the locale says list separates are semicolons" as a justification for
sometimes using semicolons in an interchange format instead of commas doesn't
make sense. Do you actually have a reference for that being the reason for
Excel using semicolons?