SQL overall is phenomenally ambiguous about group-by:

1) select a0 + 1 as a0 from a group by a0

has a different behaviour in different SQL implementations, depending on whether the group-by prefers the underlying column or the projection alias.

2) As you rightly point out, group by integer has a different behaviour in different implementations, depending on how they range-check for "is a projection reference" - is a valid integer, is out of range, ...

3) group by expression has several of the above ambiguities, when it's legal.

4) Everything else is AFU'd too.

S.