On 2018/08/26 4:47 PM, Thomas Kurz wrote:
But, as noted, you could just store those as blobs, bigendian if you want
sorting, and indexing will work just fine. No other conversion needed.
Yes, I can store *anything* as blobs. When arguing like this, we wouldn't need
strings, dates, floats or any other type neither.

Since you bring up "arguing like this"  - let me point out that the reply offered, in argument terms, is a straw men at best.

For similar functionalities A and B where it is not shown that B is required/needed/useful in the general case, does not in any way obviate the need (by precedent or otherwise) for A which IS shown to be useful in the general case.

By example, if a person offers a good reason why cars should have 5 wheels, with good motivation too, say an added wheel in the center under the car would assist greatly with navigating huge bumps in the road - which might be objectively true, but until it can be shown that "huge bumps in the road" is sufficiently "general" a case to warrant the change, that person may still request it, but not require it.

More to the point of argument, if the request for 5-wheeled cars does not find implementation, it in no way obviates the need for 4-wheeled cars, so saying "well then we might just as well also not have 4 wheeled cars" is simply an appeal to false precedent.

Btw, my point is only towards the argument offered, I have no thoughts on the UINT itself - it would probably be rather nice to have.

Cheers,
Ryan