Relational databases, and the Relational Model, are not so called because
their records stand in relation to other records. The Model, and the
subsequent databases, are about relations, which are a long-standing
and precisely defined mathematical concept. So, I'm afraid, you are
actually wrong (in common with many others of course).

I was defending my use of the the phrase "Relational data" (and even conceded it), not arguing about the meaning of Relational model - and we call Relational databases so because it does Relational things with data, things described in the Relational model... but not necessarily all the 12 things Edgar wanted us/them to conform to before allowing the term "Relational" - and that's ok... Surely.

Every word I speak in this exchange seems to serve only as food to feed a next construed difference, so I'll concede everything and return to the original observation:

Perhaps it's a cultural difference or linguistic weirdness, but in my tongue "controversial"  means having real controversy, two sides to a coin, often hotly contested. i.e. because there are some people who believe the Earth to be flat, doesn't make the theory of Gravity a debated controversy.

If we call anything that have a couple of naysayers a controversy, then everything is a controversy.

Cheers,
Ryan

PS: You're right about one important thing, this thread must be boring everyone to bits, so I'll rest the case here. :)