> On Oct 22, 2018, at 10:04 PM, Paul <de...@ukr.net> wrote:
>
> If my opinion has any value, even though being atheist, I prefer this CoC 100
> times over
> the CoC that is being currently pushed onto the many open-source communities,
> that was
> created by some purple-headed feminist with political motives.

As a purple-headed feminist (yes, literally; got it dyed last week, though the
color is subtle) I am rolling my eyes at this.
I haven’t see any CoC with political motives being “pushed” to open-source
communities. The ones I’ve seen basically boil down to Be Excellent Unto One
Another, similarly to SQLite’s. The difference is that they go into
_specifics_. And why do they do that? Because of many incidents of
harassment/discrimination against people of specific minority [in the geek
community] groups.

Vague blanket statements like “Don’t be evil” or “Be excellent to each other”
don’t work (here or anywhere else.) *Everyone* believes they’re good,
*everyone* believes they’re doing good, everyone believes that when they get
snarky or take action against someone, that it’s because the *other person*
deserved it, or maybe that it was just in fun and the other person shouldn’t be
so sensitive. Even the [insert name of horrible group that committed
atrocities] felt that way.

Since DRH got this CoC from a Christian monastic order, allow me to give an
example: another order, the Dominicans, instigated and led some rather horrific
acts of mass torture, murder and ethnic cleansing over the centuries (e.g. the
Spanish Inquisition.) I’m sure that Savonarola felt himself to be a good person
who was doing the right thing. (Of course, the same goes for horrifically evil
people who were devout followers of other religions, and of course atheists.
Only Disney villains actually believe they’re evil.)

Being specific is important. If you think it’s some kind of crazy political
extremism to prohibit harassment based on race, religion, gender or sexual
orientation, I can’t help you there, but just try to keep in mind that the
majority of people do think so and have asked that you not do it. At least they
have on other sites; I can’t tell about this one, because the original author
of the CoC certainly felt it was OK, and I don’t know what DRH’s motives were
for reproducing his words verbatim.

—Jens