P Kishor wrote:

snobs ;-)
Hardly. More like Defenders of the One True Way. ;-)

...to each her own.
And there is no need for this sort of feminist activism on this list either. :-)

Anyway a little digging on wikipedia found this:

/SQL/ is commonly spoken either as the names of the letters /ess-cue-el/ (IPA <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Phonetic_Alphabet>: [ˈɛsˈkjuˈɛl]), or like the word /sequel/ (IPA <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Phonetic_Alphabet>: [ˈsiːkwəl]). The official pronunciation of SQL according to ANSI <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ANSI> is /ess-cue-el/. However, each of the major database products (or projects) containing the letters /SQL/ has its own convention: MySQL <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MySQL> is officially and commonly pronounced "/My Ess Cue El/"; PostgreSQL <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PostgreSQL> is expediently pronounced /postgres/ (being the name of the predecessor to PostgreSQL); and Microsoft SQL Server <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_SQL_Server> is commonly spoken as /Microsoft-sequel-server/.

Being a strong proponent of SQL standards, I am glad to see that ANSI got it right. ;-)

Dennis Cote