On 23 Sep 2010, at 2:13pm, Andy Gibbs wrote:

> I've got a table with a primary key and then any number of additional tables
> with foreign keys that reference this primary key table with "ON DELETE
> RESTRICT"

I always worry when I see descriptions like this.  Those additional tables: do
they all have the same columns ?  If so, can you amagamate them all into one
big table ?  Just insert one extra column saying what kind of row this row is.

Not only does this fix the problem you raised, but it means you don't need to
change your schema each time you encounter a new type of information.

Simon.