On Fri, Nov 15, 2013 at 1:55 PM, L. Wood <lwoo...@live.com> wrote:

> Suppose I have a table Foo with two columns: state, company_stock_symbol.
> (There are other columns but let's ignore them.)
>
> The states are relatively few (50). There are tens of thousands of
> companies.

I was just reading http://www.sqlite.org/draft/releaselog/3_8_2.html after
the WITHOUT ROWID post, and this sounds like the next optimization to be
introduced
http://www.sqlite.org/draft/optoverview.html#skipscan might has some
influence on your index choices in the future.

What I wonder though is how many is "too many distinct values in the
left-most columns", i.e. is 50 too many or not.

Will there be a pragma for the cut-off number, or there's not really a
cut-off number but instead the true cardinality of the left-most columns is
evaluated and has bearings on the plan cost and it "wins" only if no other
plans are cheaper. Richard? TIA, --DD