On Thu, Jun 4, 2015 at 10:20 AM, Christopher Vance <cjsvance at gmail.com>
wrote:

> If you really want your own types, you could always bundle with ASN.1 and
> store the result as a blob.

Or Protobuf, or ... But you're back to option 1, you must store somewhere
that knowledge, and it's an app-convention, SQL and SQLite don't cooperate.

That's far from first-class UDTs.

You can also use a self-describing format like AVRO (many others I'm sure),
but you still need to know "a-priori" which blobs are avro encoded, and
even assuming that, that doesn't enforce a "schema" (structure) on the
column (i.e. "static typing"), which I think is necessary. Actually, maybe
a CHECK constraint works here. I've never tried to use a
custom-SQL-function-based check constraint in SQLite. Does that work? --DD