I see this. What does it mean? Does it mean even when the sqlite3
session is closed there is still -wal and -shm left on the disk?

"""
There is an additional quasi-persistent "-wal" file and "-shm" shared
memory file associated with each database, which can make SQLite less
appealing for use as an application file-format.
"""

In rollback journal mode the -journal file only shows up when you're making
changes. In wal mode the -wal and -shm files are there for the entire life of
the connection, as long as there's anything even reading the file, they're
there.

In general I believe the last connection tries to do a complete checkpoint when
it closes, and if it succeeds then it'll delete the -wal and -shm files. If you
have automatic checkpointing turned off (maybe you're doing regular checkpoints
from a separate dedicated process) then it's possible for all connections to
finish and close the database without error, but still have those files sitting
around because they haven't been checkpointed yet.

Some combination of those two is what is being referred to there I believe.