There is an extra configure option (that is not default only for historical reasons which no one can seem to remember -- which is sad because I think I added it :-) )
that you need on OS-X

configure --enable-stacklessfewerregisters

BUT: if you want to build a complete OS-X framework compatible version with
all the bells and whistles, the best thing to do is to:

cd Mac/BuildScript
python build-installer.py

You will need a net connection, because that will download and build a bunch of extra packages, but you will wind up with a much more "Mac compatible" python
dist when you are done.

-Jas