I know it can take a realtime expression, but that means unpacking
my nested bean from the request and then calling methods from it.

This kind of ``code'' I would like to avoid having been placed
inside the .jsp.

I could create a custom tag that outputted the property I was
interested in but writing a tag for that purpose sucks and I'm
not even sure if it would work to initialize a parameter in
a struts tag.

Also I could use the <jsp:useBean .. > and then <bean:getProperty ..>
tag to set the value on a non-struts form element but for reasons I
don't understand it doesn't work inside struts form element tags.

There must be another way or am I dreaming when striving for
a script free page?

Thanks