Someplace at the end of your Action Class you could
set the mime type and:
String contentType = "application/xls";  //i believe
this is the correct mime type for excel
byte[] fromDB = lobHandler.getByteStreamFromDB();

if (contentType.equals("text/richtext"))
                                                response.setContentType(contentType);
                                                javax.servlet.ServletOutputStream out =
response.getOutputStream();

//out.write((byte[])
request.getAttribute("binaryData"));    // where data
is byte[] containing the filedata

out.write(fromDB);

out.flush();

out.close();