try something like this; it will open the pdf viewer in your browser

public class ShowDocumentAction extends BasicAction {
    public ActionForward perform(ActionMapping mapping, ActionForm form,
HttpServletRequest request, HttpServletResponse response)
    throws IOException, ServletException {

        try {
            Object object = session.getAttribute("BlobObject");
            if (object != null) {
                DocumentDetailModel detailModel =
(DocumentDetailModel)object;

                Document document = new Document();

                PdfWriter.getInstance(document, baos);    // Using the
library of Bruno Lowagie  to convert xml to PDF

                Parser parser =
ParserFactory.makeParser("org.apache.xerces.parsers.SAXParser");
                parser.setDocumentHandler(new SAXiTextHandler(document));

                ByteArrayInputStream stream = new
ByteArrayInputStream(detailModel.getDetail());  // this is an array of byte
                InputSource inputSource = new InputSource(stream);
                parser.parse(inputSource);

                response.setContentLength(baos.size());
                ServletOutputStream out = response.getOutputStream();
                baos.writeTo(out);
                out.flush();
            }
        }