From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Monday, February 25, 2002 3:56 PM
To: Struts Users Mailing List
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Request scope question again...

Hi Dave:

I am very sorry again to keep asking questions about this.     I think I am
"finally" starting to understand...   But please pardon my ignorance.

If you have the following scenario where all is defined as "request" scope:

1.   The user hits the submit button on FORM A and FORM A's  action
forwards to FORM B (which has input fields and another submit button).
2.   The User hits FORM B's submit button which throws back a report (in
html)

Are we looking at 2 different requests in the above scenario (request 1
ending when FORM B comes up    and request 2 ending when the report data
comes back?).     If we are looking at 2 different requests, that could
explain the problem I am having.

Is the "submit" action per-se (which calls another action when the submit
button is hit) the "end-all" of each request?

thanks,
Theron

                    dderry

                    <[EMAIL PROTECTED]        To:     Struts Users Mailing List
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
                    rg>                  cc:

                                         Subject:     Re: Request scope
question again...
                    02/24/02

                    07:41 PM

                    Please

                    respond to

                    Struts Users

                    Mailing List

Yes. As I understand it, as long as the Action classes are performing
forwards rather than redirects it will all be handled on the server side in
the same request. It is only when a response is returned to the browser
that
the request will be ended. On the other hand, if a redirect is performed,
that is done by sending a response to the browser which somehow tells tells
the browser to request a different page. I don't know how this works
exactly, could be a header, but I really don't know.

The thing to keep in mind though is that a 'request' consists of the
browser
requesting a resource from the server, and the server responding back to
the
browser. Whatever happens on the server, no matter how many resources or
Actions process that request, it is all the same request until the response
is returned to the browser.

Glad to be able to help.

Dave D