From: Jim Downing [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, February 27, 2002 8:17 AM
To: Struts Users Mailing List
Subject: Re: speed of struts

On Mon, Feb 11, 2002 at 03:01:12PM +0000, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> I'm curious as to the limit here. I'm currently building an app which
> has huge form requirements - I may have upwards of 500 fields as html
> text inputs -- very spreadsheet like. Where is the limitation?
> Rendering into html, or parsing the request into beans? I've had not
> problems so far with rendering speed, though I'm using Mozilla, so
> browser speed hasn't been noticable to far..

I've just finished a struts project where I had to move to scriptlets
away from struts tags for presentation logic. The problem was that
every now and then the GC would take a second or so to run. This
struck me as a VM issue (and may still have been, although it happened
under linux jdk1.2.2 and 1.3.1), but when I profiled the page I found
that the handful of tags I was using (10 - 20 logic equals, a few
logic:iterates) were generating 6M of garbage. Is this typical for all
taglibs? I dislike developing with scriptlets, but that's a pretty big
performance hit to have to take for a bit of maintainability.

Is this the same factor that limits pages to 50 form tags? What's the
best solution for pages with complex presentation logic?

jim
Jim Downing

[EMAIL PROTECTED]