> Ok, so there was a LOT happening in this thread, so I'd use some quick
> summary.
> Since what I'd like to know:

> 1) Does this cyrus-sasl2 fix both the adcli and sssd regressions?
> Since we reverted both as people were reporting regressions first for sssd
> and then for adcli - not sure which one was the actual cause of it though

The cyrus-sasl2 fix fixes the adcli regression, due to adcli changing to using
GSS-SPNEGO by default, which was broken.

sssd never had a regression in the first place, due to the changes having
nothing to do with GSS-SPNEGO.

The confusion with sssd came from confused users who did not know that adcli
is the program under the hood of realm, and thought that sssd had broken, when
in reality, it was adcli.

> 2) Does it need fixing for all the stable series where we updated adcli and
> (additionally) sssd?

cyrus-sasl2 is only broken in Bionic. Focal onward already have the patch and
work fine.

Let me know if you have any more questions, happy to answer.

Thanks,
Matthew