Hi everyone,

Could you please review LP #1968805 [1], and sponsor the uploads if it looks
okay?

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ec2-hibinit-agent/+bug/1968805

I think bumping the priority to 32767 is the best solution for this particular
case, since it would be higher than priorities users would be using in the wild,
if they happen to have multiple swapfiles configured.

I have submitted the patches upstream, but no word back. The upstream is AWS
though, so maybe I might be able to put the SLA on hold for feedback there,
but otherwise, we have about one month left on the SLA to get this fixed, so
I wasn't going to wait.

I did ask the CPC team about their feelings on the patches, but I didn't get
much of a response other than from Chris Newcomer in the CPC channel.

If you were going to test this for yourself, best stick with Focal for the
moment, as Jammy is broken on xen instance types, and is being tracked
separately in https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-aws/+bug/1968062

Let me know if you have any feedback, or think this should be fixed in a
different way.

And yes, Dan, this is probably a duplicate of
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1910252
where the real root cause is that systemd blindly hibernates to the highest
priority swapfile, as it has no way to know what resume device and offset the
kernel is configured to resume from. SRUing such a change might be difficult
as those who accept the standard behaviour would have to manually update their
configuration on their systems to tell systemd what swapfile to hibernate to.

I think talking with upstream systemd will go past the 1 month left on the SLA,
and so these straightforward patches to ec2-hibinit-agent are probably the best
low risk way to work around the bug, and fix AWS users.

PS, our ec2-hibinit-agent package diverged from upstream long ago, and the
foundations team appear to be happy carrying patches not upstreamed.

Thanks,
Matthew