Terrors Ahead

    Jesus said, "We are going to Jerusalem. The Son of Man will
    be given to the leading priests and teachers of the law. The
    priests and the teachers of the law will say that the Son of
    Man must die. They will give the Son of Man to the non-Jewish
    people. Those people will laugh at him and spit on him. They
    will beat him with whips and kill him. But on the third day
    after his death, he will rise to life again."

                            -- Mark 10:33-34 (ERV)

  KEY THOUGHT:
  Jesus knew what lay ahead. While he warned his followers, he was also
  emphasizing his own awareness of the horrible price his gift of love
  would cost him personally. Yet he did this for you and me. He did it
  knowingly. He did it sacrificially; he deliberately held back his own
  power to stop what was going to happen to him. The Cross that awaited
  him, the mockery that lay in waiting, and the ugliness that would be
  heaped upon him by those who hated him was known and accepted ... even
  to a certain extent, embraced. Why? Because a ransom had to be paid and
  sin had to be atoned. By his wounds, the very wounds he was
  anticipating, we were healed.

  TODAY'S PRAYER:
  O God, what thanks can I offer? What words, dear Father, are adequate
  to say thanks for the price that was paid for my sins? While my words
  are inadequate, I trust that the Holy Spirit will present the yearnings
  of my thankful heart to you with my deepest appreciation for your
  sacrifice and the personal cost to your Son. In Jesus' name I thank
  you. Amen.