Only God Decides

    The sons answered, "Yes, we can!" Jesus said to the sons,
    "You will suffer the same things that I will suffer. And you
    will be baptized with the same baptism that I must have. But
    I cannot choose the person that will sit at my right or my
    left. There are some people that will have those places.
    Those places are prepared for them."

                            -- Mark 10:39-40 (ERV)

  KEY THOUGHT:
  God the Father holds some things in his hands alone. The Son, in his
  earthly ministry, will not decide the importance or place of his
  followers before their lives are done. Only God will. The point from
  this seems to be that we are not to live for the place of honor, but
  for the person of honor -- Jesus, the Son of God.

  TODAY'S PRAYER:
  God, calm my restless and selfish spirit of striving. To be loved,
  honored, and welcomed by you and to know that you will dry every tear
  from my eyes and give me a home with you are far more than I can
  rightfully ask. Calm me, O Lord, and help me trust that your place for
  me will be far more glorious than I have a right to expect because your
  grace is more than sufficient for me. In Jesus' name. Amen.