Loving the Limelight

   Jesus continued teaching. Jesus said, "Be careful of the
   teachers of the law. They like to walk around wearing clothes
   that look important. And they love for people to show respect
   to them in the market places. They love to get the most
   important seats in the synagogues. And they love to get the
   most important seats at the feasts."

                           -- Mark 12:38-39 (ERV)

KEY THOUGHT:
Being a teacher of the Bible and Christian living is not about
prestige, position, or applause. Nearly every great teacher of God has
had to endure ridicule, rejection, and possibly even suffering at one
time or another. However, weaker souls are lured into a rotten mode of
ministry because they desire the attention, attire, and adulation. This
is not God's plan for a leader. This is not God's will for a faithful
servant. In fact, these folks are to be avoided and their example is to
be rejected. Those who follow Jesus are not about being "showy," but
about being servants.

TODAY'S PRAYER:
Father, make my soul blanch at the thought of egotistically seizing the
limelight for myself and parading around like I'm something important.
Make me into a useful servant in your Kingdom who cares more about
helping the broken than I do about being recognized. In Jesus' name I
pray. Amen.