Save Yourself!

   People walked by and said bad things to Jesus. They shook
   their heads and said, "You said you could destroy the temple
   and build it again in three days. So save yourself! Come down
   from that cross!"

                           -- Mark 15:29-30 (ERV)

KEY THOUGHT:
If you listen carefully, behind the voice of the people shouting abuse
at Jesus, you can hear the voice of Satan mocking God's Son. Notice how
similar these words are to the words of Satan when he tempted Jesus at
the beginning of his ministry: "Then the Devil took him to Jerusalem,
to the highest point of the Temple, and said, 'If you are the Son of
God, jump off! For the Scriptures say, He orders his angels to protect
you'" (Matt. 4:5-6). Jesus had refused to use his power and identity as
a means for self-protection. From the beginning of his ministry to the
Cross he used his power and his identity as the Son of God to help and
bless others. He will not be tortured, ridiculed, and mocked into an
abuse of his power or of his position. He didn't come to save himself,
but to give himself as a ransom. He allowed nothing to stop him from
his mission. He had the power to preserve himself, but he loved you and
me too much to come down from that Cross until his work here was
finished!

TODAY'S PRAYER:
Praise to you, O God, LORD of heaven and earth. Praise to you, King
Jesus, for you gracious and sacrificial love. Praise to you, O Holy
Spirit, for you are God's presence and power -- the gift sent by the
Savior to remind me that I'm heaven bound. Without your grace, your
sacrifice, and your presence, I would be hopelessly lost! Amen.