Hi Jan,
so far we didn't have to deal with the problem of guessing traffic for the
side roads based only on observations of the main roads.

I see two possible approaches here and both try to avoid "excessive"
traffic on the side roads:

1. trying to get a "better" initial distribution of random routes and
trying to preserve this distribution during sampling (this means not doing
--optimize full but rather --optimize with an integer limit)
   this "better" distribution could come from better informed routing (not
with empty-net travel times as randomTrips does) i.e. by doing a few steps
of iterative user assignment (duaIterate.py)

2. adding more constraints by defining virtual detectors that set hard
limits on the traffic that can go through side roads. The problem here is
that you cannot yet define upper bounds distinctively from counts (
https://github.com/eclipse-sumo/sumo/issues/6727) but it might still help
if you set low values for congested side streets.  Flowrouter already
supports this kind of general constraint
https://sumo.dlr.de/docs/Tools/Detector.html#restricting_generated_routes
on single edges.

I'm happy to collaborate on this because I see it as a strategic/crucial
problem in simulation setup.

best regards,
Jakob