We use cups from opencsw/blastwave here.

We actually have a central cups server setup and that is setup with all of it's printers shared.

Then on our sunray servers we also have cups installed and it's set to see printers shared by other servers.

So the cups on our sunray servers automatically populate with the printers from our central cups server.

We've had this setup for about 6 months now and it's worked really well for us.
And I can confirm this works with firefox3 and this new version of acroread.

We didn't use to have a central cups server. Only reason we do now is because it's annoying to figure out which sunray server a user having a printing issue is logged into so you can figure out which cups server to login to. Not to mention if you changed a printer on one of the sunray cups servers, then you had to repeat for all your sunray cups servers. Also if we want to work on a printer, then we can unpublish it on the central cups server and it won't appear in the cups on any of the sunray servers anymore. Keeps people from printing to a printer you're trying to work on.

Aaron

Darrel Hankerson wrote:
Stoyan Angelov writes:

   adobe has finally released a modern port of Adobe Reader for the
   Solaris x86 platform!

The printing support is for cups, and Sun dropped cups from the
companion CD for the 10_08 release.  Acroread will print without cups,
but there's no menu selection of printers.  If I recall correctly, the
story may be similar for firefox 3 contributed by Sun.

Perhaps it's time to switch to cups, but I suspect I'll point acroread
to an existing cups server.  (In very limited testing, the cups material
on our system from 2005 works with 10_08.)  What's the smart solution?

--
Darrel Hankerson

Aaron Wilson
Ernie Ball, Inc.
I.T. Department
aa...@ernieball.com
(805)544-7726

NOTICE: This e-mail is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s).
Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution of this e-mail
or its contents is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended
recipient, please contact the sender by reply mail and destroy the
original and all copies of the original message.