From: Darrel Hankerson <hank...@auburn.edu>
Sent: Jun 10, 2009 8:57 AM
To: SunRay-Users mailing list <sunray-users@filibeto.org>
Subject: Re: [SunRay-Users] Adobe Reader 9.1 x86

Aaron Wilson writes:

  In either case [acroread 9 on Solaris/x86 to Ray] takes a good 40-90
  seconds before acroread will launch. Usually close to 60 seconds.
  So it leaves me to believe it's something sunray related. I'm leaning
  towards Xsun, though I wouldn't know how to even confirm or diagnose
  that.  Anyone else noticing anything like this?

We see the 1-3 second response reported by Bjoern Rost (on an X4150) if
the measurement is for a subsequent launch after acroread is closed, but
a "cold" launch can be 10-30 seconds on an X4200 (two single-core 2.8GHz
Opteron) displaying to Xnewt.

The issues for us are that cups is required if we want to list printers
for users, and crashes on "save as text" are more common than on
Linux/x86.  For cups, we point to an existing cups server rather than
meddle with the print subsystem on the Ray server.

--
Darrel Hankerson