From: sunray-users-boun...@filibeto.org
[mailto:sunray-users-boun...@filibeto.org] On Behalf Of Matthew Arensberg Wieben
Sent: Thursday, September 27, 2012 3:54 PM
To: SunRay-Users mailing list
Subject: Re: [SunRay-Users] Performance tanks after upgrading to 1GB switch,
had 100MB

We use Cisco Catalyst 2970 switches for the servers...though in the client
areas, 2960's and 2970's are used, too.  There was a point in time where
performance on the 2970's was really bad (video and everything else was very
'glitchy') unless forced compression on the DTUs was turned on.  The servers
connected to the 2970's are forced into 1gb mode, and everything else
downstream is set to auto negotiate.  No problem existed when the servers were
connected to 2960's.

When we first ran into the issue, I opened a ticket with Sun and Cisco about it
(probably on this list, too).  Sun gave a bunch of help...Cisco said,
"ALP?--NOT US!"  We basically did everything described in this thread:
hires_tick  = 1, turn off flow control, check switch logs for UDP buffer usage
(ours weren't buffering UDP at all), using sunray gather, etc... the solution
on our end just came down to leaving forced compression on since nothing seemed
obviously wrong on the servers or switches.

Over time, we did the usual sun ray server and firmware updates and network ops
did their switch IOS updates and this problem just went away.  Forced
compression on or off, performance is just fine.

Matt