Computer Tech wrote:
*How do I add a _Yahoo_ buddy to my _MSN_ protocol without opening a Yahoo account?*

I suspect that you will have to add them with an official, or other supported client. It is very unlikely that Microsoft will ever consider Pidgin a supported client.

Adding the feature will cause "layering" issues for Pidgin, as it could mean extending MSN specific features into the protocol independent user interface.

What would probably help is if you could provide a legal copy of the relevant protocol specification document (which I suspect is impossible, as I don't believe that Microsoft would give permission for such use) or you could provide detailed reverse engineering details on the protocol exchanges when the official client adds such a buddy.

(I haven't checked the latest sourced code, but a relatively recent version only seems to use MSN_NETWORK_YAHOO in comparison contexts, and I suspect it would have to assign it to something if it had any support for adding Yahoo buddies to MSN servers.)

--
David Woolley