Hi David,

If you just want to change how things are displayed in Pidgin, the easiest
way is through the Pidgin GTK+ Theme Control plugin in Tools->Plugins.  If
it's about the formatting you're sending, the default format is set in
Tools->Preferences->Conversations->Default Formatting, and can be modified
on a per-conversation basis in the conversation window (Options->Show
Formatting Toolbars in the conversation window will toggle the formatting
options)

Not all protocols will support all formatting options (some might just
support bold/italics but others support font size and/or colour), and many
protocols don't support any (eg IRC, Facebook)

Which protocol are you trying to use that you're not able to send formatted
messages on?

Cheers,
Eion