Hi there,

When you say you "signed in with [your] Google account" do you mean signing
into GTalk/XMPP or Hangouts?

Also, when you say you moved the pidgin account, did you copy the entire
~/.purple folder to the new computer, or just the accounts.xml file?  If
you had copied over the entire .purple folder it should have copied over
the blist.xml file too which would have had the buddy list including
buddies that weren't on the server.

Cheers,
Eion