Hi Bernard,

The top note in the link you've provided says "Note: This extension will no
longer be supported by Google XMPP servers as of July 18 2016, for API
access to Gmail see the Gmail API documentation.".  Unfortunately as you've
found the email notifications no longer come through in the XMPP account.

I've been looking into whether it'd be possible to add this into the
Hangouts plugin via the Gmail API, but this isn't in there at the moment.

As a workaround you can use a browser extension such as
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/oeopbcgkkoapgobdbedcemjljbihmemj
for Chrome.

Cheers,
Eion