When you're quitting Pidgin, are you either right-clicking the system tray
icon and choosing Quit or using the Buddies->Quit menu option?

If you're not doing that, and just hitting the X to close the buddy list,
then Pidgin is still running.  If it detects that your network changes,
then it's going to try to reconnect to your accounts, which might involve
redisplaying conversation/buddy list windows.

Cheers,
Eion