The link I posted is a Pidgin plugin.

On 2022-06-08 22:59, Rupert Dance - Comcast-2 wrote:
Thanks for the response.

My understanding is that Chrome must be open and Chat does not function as a
real standalone app but I may have to try it. I use Outlook and although I have
Gmail, I get my Gmail through Outlook but now Google has broken that as well
because they no longer support POP.

So I wanted something more independent of Google.

Rupert