> On Apr 13, 2017, at 4:48 PM, Xiaodi Wu <xiaodi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> You say "this is the example set by `print`", but I don't think anything else
> actually *follows* that example. No other I/O operation in Swift behaves this
> way.
>
> To be more accurate, it's not `print` that specifies this behavior, but
> rather the standard output stream's implementation of
> `TextOutputStream.write(_:)`. Swift *explicitly* leaves this choice up to the
> TextOutputStream-conforming type. That is, the behavior is up to the receiver
> and not the argument of a call to `TextOutputStream.write(_:)`.

I feel like I must be misunderstanding what you're trying to say here, because
I *think* what you're trying to say is that `TextOutputStream.write(_:)` is
what decides whether to add the terminator, which is not only totally wrong
(see
https://github.com/apple/swift/blob/adc54c8a4d13fbebfeb68244bac401ef2528d6d0/stdlib/public/core/Print.swift#L260)
 but doesn't even make any sense since there's a terminator parameter on
`print` but none on `write(_:)`.

--
Brent Royal-Gordon
Architechies