> On Apr 15, 2017, at 3:28 PM, Thorsten Seitz <tseit...@icloud.com> wrote:
>
>> Here is another example:
>>
>>      case .isExprSameType(let from, let to):
>>              return """checking a value with optional type \(from) \
>>                        against dynamic type \(to) \
>>                        succeeds whenever the value is non-'nil'; \
>>                        did you mean to use '!= nil'?\
>>                        """
>>

> This only works because the lines have been indented by hand to match
> correctly which would not be the case with standard indentation used in a
> code editor which is a fixed multiple of spaces or tabs: the example had to
> add 2 spaces to the 2 tabs in this example to fix the indentation (requiring
> 8-space-tabs). In reality the example would look like follows (assuming
> 4-space-indentation but the problem is the same for other indentations):
>
> case .isExprSameType(let from, let to):
>     return """checking a value with optional type \(from) \
>         against dynamic type \(to) \
>         succeeds whenever the value is non-'nil'; \
>         did you mean to use '!= nil'?\
>         """

That is perfectly fine too. I don't find this style confusing.  The 2nd, 3rd
and 4th lines are stripped of their indentation according to the closing
delimiter. And that is it.

>> I personally do not find this style confusing at all.
>
> The confusion arises over the leading newline: why does text directly
> following the opening triple quote have a newline while an empty line after
> the opening triple quote does not have a newline?

I think it is a good thing to have the option to start the line of text
immediately after the opening delimiter or on the next line.

Regards,
Ricardo