Hi everyone,

This week’s speaker in the University of Sydney Philosophy Seminar Series is
Alastair Wilson (University of Birmingham).

The title of Alastair’s talk is “Priority, Emergence, and Structural Realism”.
Here’s the abstract for Alastair’s talk:

I argue for a distinction between two kinds of priority in metaphysics:
metaphysical fundamentality and metaphysical naturalness. Drawing this
distinction allows for perfectly natural properties at non-fundamental levels.
I show how the distinction between fundamentality and naturalness can be
implemented in a simple subject-matter-based framework, and then apply the
distinction i) to account for the elusive notion of metaphysical emergence and
ii) to characterize the attractive but slippery thesis of structural realism in
the philosophy of science.

The talk will take place on Wednesday the 29th of March at 3:30 p.m. in the
Philosophy Seminar Room (N494) in the Quadrangle and will be simulcast via
Zoom: https://uni-sydney.zoom.us/j/88699564848.

The talk will be followed by drinks and informal discussion at the Rose. All
welcome!

Enquiries about the seminar series can be directed to
ryan....@sydney.edu.au<mailto:ryan....@sydney.edu.au>

Ryan Cox
Associate Lecturer in Philosophy
Discipline of Philosophy
School of Humanities
University of Sydney
ryan....@sydney.edu.au<mailto:ryan....@sydney.edu.au>

---------
SydPhil mailing list

To unsubscribe, change your membership options, find answers to common
problems, or visit our online archives, please go to the list information page: