School of History and Philosophy of Science
RESEARCH SEMINAR
[The University of Sydney]
[https://d31hzlhk6di2h5.cloudfront.net/20240409/ca/ab/6f/31/a2888263b3b601f667bcb34d_1276x850.jpg]
Experimental Philosophy of Health and Disease
Somogy Varga and Andrew J. Latham (Aarhus University)

Dates: Monday, 15 April 2024
Time: 5:30pm
Venue: New Law Building (F10), Level 3, Room 344
How to register: Free, no registration required.

Abstract: While the philosophy of medicine has seen extensive discussions
focusing on the concepts of health, disease, and dysfunction, the exact content
of these concepts remains contested. In this talk, we will report some results
from a series of experimental philosophy studies which aimed to examine how
people understand and deploy these concepts, and the factors that influence
their judgments. We will then discuss the implications that these findings
carry for the philosophical debates and for health-related communication in
both clinical and public health settings..

Bio: Somogy Varga is professor of philosophy at Aarhus University and director
of the Center for Philosophy and the Health Sciences. His current research is
mostly concerned with topics in the philosophy of science, psychiatry, and
medicine. He is the author of four books: Science, Medicine, and the Aims of
Inquiry (Cambridge University Press, in press), Scaffolded Minds (MIT Press,
2019), Naturalism, Interpretation and Mental Disorder (Oxford University Press,
2015), and Authenticity as an Ethical Ideal (Routledge, 2011). Some of his
research papers were published in leading medical/psychological journals (e.g.,
Psychological Review, Neuroscience & Biobehavioral Reviews), others in
philosophical journals(e.g., PPR, AJP).

Bio: Andrew J. Latham is an AIAS-PIREAU research fellow at Aarhus University.
He works at the intersection of metaphysics, ethics and cognitive science and
is interested in what empirical discoveries, particularly in the psychological
and brain sciences, reveal about the nature of phenomena. Andrew has authored
many papers in experimental philosophy, with many of them being published in
leading philosophy journals (i.e., Noûs, Journal of Philosophy, and Philosophy
and Phenomenological Research). He was recently awarded both a Marie Curie
European Postdoctoral Fellowship and Discovery Early Career Research Award.

[https://images.e2ma.net/0/images/templates/spacer.gif]

[The University of Sydney]
Keep in touch
[Facebook]<https://t.e2ma.net/click/sb5l6v/090r5ucb/s36pcye>
[Twitter]<https://t.e2ma.net/click/sb5l6v/090r5ucb/8v7pcye>
[Instagram]<https://t.e2ma.net/click/sb5l6v/090r5ucb/oo8pcye>
[LinkedIn]<https://t.e2ma.net/click/sb5l6v/090r5ucb/4g9pcye>
[YouTube]<https://t.e2ma.net/click/sb5l6v/090r5ucb/k99pcye>
Copyright © 2024 The University of Sydney, NSW 2006 Australia
Phone +61 2 9351 2222 ABN 15 211 513 464 CRICOS Number: 00026A

Please add hps.ad...@sydney.edu.au to your address book or senders safe list to
make sure you continue to see our emails in the future.

Manage<https://app.e2ma.net/app2/audience/signup/1976084/1957350/1324090854/83979948518/?s=RROKLkzs7vGqVIR9ZjYnhxHAVPRs2Zc8ZJfdmMxPHOM>
 your preferences | Opt
out<https://t.e2ma.net/optout/sb5l6v/090r5ucb?s=wxr8CoFHwdNWZ2uAr4jBVAnLHNbcKRqY0-yLDhpN_xQ>
 using TrueRemove®
Got this as a forward? Sign
up<https://app.e2ma.net/app2/audience/signup/1976084/1957350.1324090854/> to
receive our future emails.
View this email online<https://t.e2ma.net/message/sb5l6v/090r5ucb>.

Disclaimer<https://t.e2ma.net/click/sb5l6v/090r5ucb/01aqcye> | Privacy
statement<https://t.e2ma.net/click/sb5l6v/090r5ucb/gubqcye> | University of
Sydney<https://t.e2ma.net/click/sb5l6v/090r5ucb/wmcqcye>

---------
SydPhil mailing list

To unsubscribe, change your membership options, find answers to common
problems, or visit our online archives, please go to the list information page: