I am speculating a bit here, but I think it works like this:

- if the template/action is found in an app module, then the app
module version is used
- if the template/action is found in a plugin, then the plugin version
is used

this suggests an order of precedence, where the app module overrides
the plugin.

i don't know if the inner workings automate this, but i can tell you
that the sfGuardPlugin seems to work this manner (ie: you override
actions and templates by creating your own version of the module.

i hope this helps.

cheers,
steve