looks to me the sfGuardPlugin keeps the last referer to your favicon url.
This can happen if the file does not exist, then symfony catch the call.
Your app require authentication, so guard plugin keep the referer as the
favicon.

So next time you login it works...

The favicon call can be done randomly by the web browser that why the
problem is intermittent.

--
Thomas Rabaix
http://rabaix.net