Also, there's many ways to skin that cat.

I've got one app where I'm indeed using a template for the xml, and in
the ups class I instantiate an instance of sfPartialView to render it.
Later I've tried another approach where the xml was embedded inside
the class via <<<EOL;
Both work.

Lastly, there's this: http://www.symfony-project.org/plugins/sfUPSShippingPlugin

Daniel