I have done something similar and the memory leak problem was
difficult to solve. In my case
it was due to circular references between objects and I always had to
use unset() explicitely on
individual objects after saving them into the database.
Make sure the objects you are trying to save do not reference each
other because they can not
be free-d by the PHP garbage collector, also PHP 5.3 is somewhat
smarter about memory recycling (compared to PHP 5.2).

If you can not figure out where the problem is you should go with SQL
data inserts.

   gabriel

security at symfony-project.com