By default Lucene search does not look for substrings, I think there
are several reasons why they are doing this mostly related to
performance.
There are some tokenizer engines which put in the index the
combination of all substrings and they solve this way the problem of
substring search, example:
"White fox"
is sent to indexing (with 3 character as minim length) as:
'Whi hit ite fox'
For the Zend PHP version you will have to build this yourself I think,
there is one in Solr:
http://wiki.apache.org/solr/AnalyzersTokenizersTokenFilters#solr.EdgeNGramFilterFactory
This can turn into a performance nightmare quickly and I'm not sure
that it will improve your search experience, Google search does not
look for substrings.
I would rather focus on increasing relevancy (synonims, stemming,
stopwords, ...) than solving the problem of substring search.

Regarding the performance I do not recommend the Zend implementation,
only for the really small projects. For larger projects my suggestion
for you is to go with
Solr:
http://lucene.apache.org/solr/

    gabriel