I agree with you, it's quite a headache to deal with the translation
files as XML. I have a couple of ideas on how this could be improved
but I did not have the time to implement it as a plugin.

For existing solutions to this problem take a look at:
http://www.symfony-project.org/plugins/mgI18nPlugin
A really nice plugin that stores translations in DB and provides a
jQuery UI to translate the strings directly on the portal.

    gabriel

security at symfony-project.com