Overwrite the constructor of the sfValidatorString class to force your own
message on all sfValidatorString objects:

class mySfValidatorString extends sfValidatorString
{
  public function _construct ($options, $messages)
  {
    $messages = array("max_length"=>"Your message here");
    parent::_construct($options, $messages);
  }
}

In your own form use your new class instead of the original
sfValidatorString:

$validators['string_widget_name'] = new
mySfValidatorString(array("max_length"=>100));

On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 7:47 PM, Basil Hussain <
basil.huss...@experience-engine.co.uk> wrote:

> I have a couple of forms with many sfValidatorString validators on
> them. The default 'max_length' error message ('"%value%" is too long
> (%max_length% characters max).') is really not suitable to the way my
> forms are laid out in the HTML, because repeating the too-long value
> within the message throws everything out of alignment.
>
> So, I want to set a shorter message (e.g. 'Too long, %max_length%
> characters max'), but I don't want to have to add the same message
> array repeatedly for every single sfValidatorString instance on these
> forms - each has 20 of them!
>
> Is there a way to set a default 'max_length' message once for every
> sfValidatorString on a form?

Gareth McCumskey
http://garethmccumskey.blogspot.com
twitter: @garethmcc