Sometimes redeveloping from scratch is a good idea, we have done it a few
times. However when selecting which language or framework to use you need to
bear in mind things like available skills (i.e. people around that can code
in that language or framework). RoR, unfortunately, does not have as big a
developer pool available as PHP has. Even if you got a good PHP developer
who hasn't used symfony before, symfony is not that complex to learn.

Also, bear in mind that languages do not force developers into good
practices. You can right an app badly in RoR just as easily as you can with
PHP+symfony.

Basically, you need to weigh the advantages and disadvantages of platforms,
tools, etc. You may think RoR is a cleaner and more cutting edge language to
use but the difficulty and cost of getting good developers for it may
outweigh those benefits.

On Sun, Apr 10, 2011 at 12:22 PM, Magali Boisseau <magali.boiss...@gmail.com
> wrote:

>  Hi Justen,
>

> Thanks for your response. Actually, I don’t really have the choice.
>

> Three years ago, I really got interested into Ruby On Rails because as an
> Web entrepreneur, I tend to select the more effective and innovative tools
> for my company. The problem is that if you don’t program a website with the
> best practices and all the tests needed, whatever the language, then, each
> time you want to implement a new feature, it takes you twice the time and
> generates a lot of bugs. It exactly what happened with Bedycasa. I wanted to
> implement a nice, simple, clean and scalable website but the developers I
> worked with did not follow my specs and most of them just did not care about
> writing the tests. Since then, a good and reliable developer has been trying
> to fix the bugs and simplify the platform but it takes just too much time
> because things have not been written right since the beginning.
>

> Now, I’m searching for a good and reliable dev to program the new version
> of Bedycasa. I’m also considering learning symfony myself…
>

> Thanks for considering my request,
>
> You can know more about Bedycasa by clicking on this page:
> http://www.bedycasa.com/documents/bedycasa-press

Gareth McCumskey
http://garethmccumskey.blogspot.com
twitter: @garethmcc