i am also afraid that the forums could have less replies.
unless people are so kind as to subscribe to get emails for the areas
they are interested in, and take the pain to go to the forum to type an
answer.

on the other hand, this list sees more traffic than is good.
and a forum could probably better archive the information and make
people read before they ask the same question again. (sticky topics, faq
for each topic, link to the book). not sure, but i feel atm there are
some questions that are asked every few days.

its hard to say if with settling of the framework and improving the
documentation in the book traffic will go down again. or if releasing
the stable 2 will attract even more beginners with lots of questions.

cheers,david

Am 17.05.2011 08:45, schrieb Gareth McCumskey:
> I don't think this is a good idea. I often have a few minutes spare in
> my busy day and can quickly browse my inbox to see if there are any
> people I can help. Pushing everything to the forums will mean less
> people that can just quickly pop in a reply to a problem someone is having.
>
> I, personally, am all for splitting the mailing list into Symfony 2 and
> symfony 1 lists.
>
> On Tue, May 17, 2011 at 8:42 AM, Fabien Potencier
> <fabien.potenc...@symfony-project.com
> <mailto:fabien.potenc...@symfony-project.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 5/16/11 7:15 PM, keymaster wrote:
>
>         Having all the symfony 1.x releases mixed in with Symfony 2
>         posts can
>         sometimes make it difficult to discern which Symfony people are
>         talking
>         about in their posts.
>
>         Not everyone is explicit on whether they are referring to
>         Symfony1 or
>         Symfony2.
>
>         This is not only a problem for those working on Symfony2, but
>         even those
>         trying to wade through symfony 1.x have to wade through newbies on
>         symfony 2.x.
>
>         An additional confusion is some Symfony 1.x people seem to be using
>         Doctrine 2.
>
>         It might be wise to separate the discussions of the two groups
>         as the
>         two products are different enough from each other to warrant it.
>

>     That's the problem of the mailing-lists vs a forum. As I said
>     already, I don't want to split the community and add more
>     mailing-lists. This is already quite complicated as we have two
>     mailing-lists and a forum.
>
>     The real question to me is: Do we need to move all the discussions
>     to the forum, where it is much easier to organize conversations by
>     topic?
>
>     Fabien
>

>         --
>
>         If you want to report a vulnerability issue on symfony, please
>         send it
>         to security at symfony-project.com <http://symfony-project.com>

>         To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
>         symfony-users+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com
>         <mailto:symfony-users%2bunsubscr...@googlegroups.com>
>         For more options, visit this group at
>         http://groups.google.com/group/symfony-users?hl=en
>

>     --
>     If you want to report a vulnerability issue on symfony, please send
>     it to security at symfony-project.com <http://symfony-project.com>

>     For more options, visit this group at
>     http://groups.google.com/group/symfony-users?hl=en
>

> --
> Gareth McCumskey
> http://garethmccumskey.blogspot.com
> twitter: @garethmcc
> identi.ca <http://identi.ca>: @garethmcc
>
> --
> If you want to report a vulnerability issue on symfony, please send it
> to security at symfony-project.com

- --
Liip AG // Agile Web Development // T +41 26 422 25 11
CH-1700 Fribourg // PGP 0xA581808B // www.liip.ch

security at symfony-project.com