As far as I did read into the topic the sane way to do assets is:
Use Assetic for css and js files. Use the ../MyBundle/Resource/public directory for image files and other static resources. Assetic is configured for an application. Built in assets are used in a bundle-scope. As symbols in css and js files get imported into a global scope, there is no need to reference the files individually from arbitrary locations. For images one needs to reference individual files. This is where my trouble start.

My setup:
/src
  /My
    /CommonBundle
      /Resources
        /jquery
          /themes
            /base
              /images
                /ui-icons_888888_256x240.png
              /jquery.ui.base.css
          /ui
            /jquery.ui.widget.js
          /jquery-1.6.js
    /FrontendBundle
      /Resources
        /public
          /images
            /me.jpg
            /logo.jpg

The css and js files get crammed together, everything fine and no problem. To reference an image I have to write {{ asset('bundles/myfrontend/images/me.jpg') }}. Is there a shortcut for the current bundle (the one containing the template) to write something like {{ asset('_this_/images/me.jpg') }}?

I want my photo-file me.jpg to have the URL http://example.com/images/me.jpg. Is there any option to put some resources in a global scope? Is there a way without using controllers?

Should /web/* be treated as generated or is it OK to mix native application assets there?

How would I reference images from within my css? And how to cope with images referenced from css or js from within a external library like jQuery?

Did I miss a well known source of documentation on this matter?

Thanks for your thoughts,

Alex

security at symfony-project.com