This is not a question. This is a post to help others where I have yet
to find solutions doing google searches myself.

http://ketuv.im/a/using-mod_rewrite-to-symfony-backend/

I have yet to find any posts that have figured out how to do this
exactly the way I wanted so I want to get this out there to help
others that want to do it like me. Also, if you see an issue with what
I did, let me know!

I found plenty of articles that showed how to make a subdomain (http://
admin.domain.tld) load the backend app and about how to have (http://
domain.tld/admin/) by actually creating an admin folder but I did not
want that either.

I only added 2 lines to the .htaccess and edited 3 lines in the
backend/config/routing.yml file. The only issue I have thought of
without running into it yet, is rewriting requests for admin/css,
admin/js and admin/images which could could easily be added above the
rewrite rule pushing admin/ requests to the backend.php as well as
physically move all your styles, javascript and images into an
"assets" folder and just rewrite all requests for admin/assets/(css|
images|js)/.* to /assets/$1.

security at symfony-project.com