If your clients are paying for custom work then they have the right to do
whatever they want with the code after you have given them what they pay
for. If they break stuff that you later have to fix then you bill them more
for the work. If your code appears in someone elses project, so what? They
have already paid for the product and essentially own the code so they can
do whatever the hell they like.

Maybe you need to try and get out of the paradigm of holding all your
source-code away from users (as in the .net world) and understand the
benefits your clients can get from open code, i.e. they can actually
maintain it themselves afterwards if they so wish. Perhaps that's the very
reason they want something developed in PHP and not a compiled language like
.net

And lastly, compiled code is not secure. If a client REALLY wants to, there
are very many tools available to turn compiled code into the original source
again.

security at symfony-project.com